Tuesday, November 10, 2009

LEED For Landscapes Aims to Green The Nation's Greens (and How We Green Our Lawn)


A new certification system will help maximize the eco-friendliness of the nation's lawns and other developed green spaces, reports GreenBiz:

The American Society of Landscape Architects, Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center and the U.S. Botanic Garden partnered to develop the rating system as part of the Sustainable Sites Initiative, which they plan to test through a series of pilot projects over the next two years.

I just downloaded the guidelines doc and look forward to seeing how well it reflects my love of native landscaping and xeriscaping.

It's not just the wasteful everyday 'monoculture grass lawn' that I want to see go the way of the Hummer (many people don't even use the lawn that they wastefully spend money, water, artificial fertilizers, herbicides and fossil fuels to maintain).  I've had enough of Japanese Maples and invasive African Acacia trees here in California, let alone European shrubbery and Eurasian ornamental flowers.

We at CVI love landscapes that reflect the public's pride in our local natural heritage.  In my yard, I plant native wildflower and bunchgrass plots (essentially mini native California grassland plots), which require little water or fertilizer and attract pollinators for my garden plants and fruit trees.  I expand these plots bit by bit each year, in the quest to convert my entire yard over to a native California grassland.  It's a ton of fun!

Each summer, I collect the seeds from our wildflower plots and save them for next year.  This holiday season, I'm going to package a bunch up and give away little native California wildflower seed packets as eco-friendly gifts.  Want one?

Read more>>
...

No comments:

Post a Comment